Saturday, January 25, 2014

It's not about the money money money

I feel that I can no longer sit back and NOT blog about the miracles in mine and Tom's life. Everyone needs to know what we now know. For the last few months we have seen incredible tender mercies that have taught and strengthened us, and this morning tipped us over the edge of gratitude, and there is not any way that we can deny that God is aware of us and our financial struggles. He also seeks to bless us when we are obedient.

All newly weds are poor, right? Right. So I don't know even why we deserve these blessings more than anyone else, but needless to say we are humbled. Here are a few of the miracles we have seen. I hope that in sharing these, you will be touched with the knowledge that Heavenly Father is equally aware of YOU.

When my parents came up to Utah to drop my little brother off at the MTC, they brought one of their cars for me and Tom to have (this was before we got married). He was able to sell his Mustang at a great price, and we no longer had a car payment to make.

Just before we got married, we were discussing our honeymoon (we had planned to go to Disneyland). As we discussed the costs, it became depressingly clear that Disneyland was out of the picture. I was so upset, and I think it was partly because my subconscious wasn't prepared to deal with financial struggles like that until we were married at least, or until the honeymoon was over. My brother called me later that night and offered to pay for one night at a hotel in Park City and a day of fun. I cried a lot that night at the gesture of love. They had just had a baby, and I knew that their financial state could not have been anything to throw money around, but I was touched. And guess what, our honeymoon to Park City and Lava Hot Springs was just as fun if not more fun than we would have had in Disneyland. We are so glad we did that the way we did.

Then our wedding came, and we were completely spoiled. My sister let me wear her gorgeous dress, helped me do my hair and makeup that morning. Someone in Tom's ward offered to do our reception for free in her yard. Two previous roommates did the flowers and invitations. One of Tom's family friends did our pictures at an incredible price. We were able to have the most incredible and perfect wedding reception I could have imagined, at the lowest of costs. It truly was the best day of my life. Thank you notes just didn't cut it. So many people provided so many things for us, and it eased our burden. Infinite thanks to those of you who were so generous.

When we moved into the apartment together, we found SO many things in the "free nook". It's a little spot in the hallway of our apartment complex where people leave things they don't want, and it's free game. From there we found a couch, an over-the-toilet cabinet, clothes, decorations, etc.

We also have some incredibly kind friends who, when they were moving, gave us some furniture and a whole lot of food, and some other things. This happened on two occasions.

In December we went to do sealings at the temple. I actually passed out while we were there, and I think part of the problem may have been that I donated plasma recently before that, but maybe not. There was a sweet couple in there celebrating their 25th anniversary, and he helped take care of me. After the session, Tom was waiting in the lobby for me to change. The man came up and asked if I was okay and then handed Tom $100 and said "Merry Christmas". Because of him, we were able to afford a Christmas for each other.

My tax return didn't get filed, and it took FOREVER to get everything figured out and get the money on it's way. It came just in time for us to pay rent.

Tom was picked to teach a class on campus, as well as to do the internship for the Biggest Winner program on campus. He also got approval to be paid for both, which rarely happens.

Last semester Tom took a class that prepares you to become certified group fitness instructors. The certification was cancelled, but we couldn't have afforded to certify him anyway. An anonymous donor left an envelope for Tom with the needed amount so that he could get certified this semester. It was a lot of money, and we were told it was a student. I know that most people can't afford something like that for themselves, let alone others. We were deeply humbled.

I got a very small raise at work. Everything counts! We were also able to work more hours than I expected for the first 3 weeks of the new year.

We have both had relatively great health.

One of Tom's friends was walking out of class with him and he gave him $20 for a race fee that we had forgotten all about. He could have just not paid us back, but even two months later, he was good to his word.

This morning we got in the car to drive to the gym and I opened the middle console. There was an envelope that neither of us recognized, no writing on it, with $20 inside. I'm not saying it was an angel or anything but...it definitely wasn't us.

And I guess that maybe Heavenly Father knows that without these miracles we wouldn't feel so secure in our ability to pay a full tithe. Maybe down the road there will be something way worse (Grad school tuition, anyone? Children? Bigger apartment/home?) and we will rely very heavily on the trust that God watched over us in this time of need, and that He will continue to do so because He loves us. Or maybe it's just true what the scriptures say, that when we pay our tithing, He will "open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it".

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! How lovely it is to see the hand of The Lord in our lives :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love hearing about the miracles in others' lives because it gets me thinking about the miracles in my own life. Thanks for sharing. Also, as a side note, my sister fainted in the temple doing ealings once too, and the sealer told her it was actually pretty common. He said it happened at least once a week and was usually a younger women because they tend to be busier and skip meals. So, just make sure you eat before doing sealings. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete