Monday, September 1, 2014

Summertime part 3: Utah!

After staying in Lava for a night we headed to Utah! We stopped in Salt Lake City on our way in to play tourists and have a picnic at the State Capitol. We also checked out a couple other places downtown and of course stopped by City Creek just for fun. Note to self (and anyone reading): The Church History museum is amazing and wonderful but it's huge and you could spend days in there! Don't be disappointed if your tired pregnant body doesn't want to walk around the entire thing in one day. It's free, you can always go back. But you have to hurry, they're closing the day after Conference Weekend for some big changes. You're welcome.




On Saturday, August 23rd, Tom and his sister Kenna ran the Top of Utah Half Marathon! Kenna had been training for a while and Tom decided to join her a few weeks ago. We drove up to Logan the night before and stayed with Michelle and James Day and their cute kids. They were so nice to let us stay for a few hours, we so enjoyed chatting with them. Plus, they have one of the cutest kittens known to mankind named Cinnamon. Tom was completely obsessed. Look at that face!



And by obsessed I mean that when we got up at 4:20 am Tom went and got the kitty out of bed to play with it for a few minutes before we left. Oh man, we're in trouble. Both Tom and I are huge animal people and I'm afraid that we'll have ourselves a zoo if our kids are anything like us in that regard! I know my family is totally rolling their eyes at this ;) Good thing a ranch and lots of land is in the dream/goal book! And don't worry Mom, no cats inside so you can visit your grandkids :)

Anyway, the half marathon! Tom did amazingly well for having not trained very much! He came in at 1:52:00, tired and happy as can be. He loves running so much, it makes me so happy to watch him run!



Kenna was nervous before the race (I would be too!) but as she came down the final stretch and saw us cheering she was all smiles and said "I can do this!!" Kenna is an inspiration to me!



That picture was for posterity's sake. Tom thinks it would be super cool if our son ran the Top of Utah half and then we show him this picture to prove that it began long ago when his dad ran that race! Too bad you can't see my bump very well in the picture!


Oh, there it is. Or I just look large, which is pretty accurate. So proud of Kenna and Tom!

Watching them made me super excited to run a half marathon myself! After the baby's born and I've recovered I'm going to ease back into running (given that my body will allow it) and do a half marathon when we move to Texas in April. Oh, did I mention that we're moving to Texas in April? Once Tom graduates we'll move there to start building residency since both of the grad schools he's applying to are in Texas. We're still not sure which city - either San Antonio or Dallas. Yay!


Once back in Lake Point, we soaked up a lot of time with Tyson, Kayla, Jaxson, and baby Kiah! She is the sweetest little newborn and we love her so much! It was so sweet to watch Tom interact with Kiah. I can't wait till our little guy comes and I can watch Tom adore our son!

Family tradition time! We took a trip up to Brighton (it's a ski resort, but we didn't ski obviously...) for breakfast and a hike around the lake. Brighton is such a beautiful place and it was so fun to be there all together!




One of my favorites - family selfie!

During our time in Utah, the boys helped Cory re-roof their house! One of the more challenging parts (at least it looked that way to me) was just getting those shingles up there! They had a nice system going:


Not pictured is all the help they got to actually put the shingles on. It was a two-day affair and there were so many wonderful people who came to help! And the roof looks so great, I never noticed shingles before but now I do! Mostly just because Tom is looking at all the houses and pointing out the roofs to me :)


Tom and Jaxson bonded over this trip a lot, Jaxson is at such fun age where he's super interactive and a total ham! We are still quoting him all the time with all the cute things he said/did. We miss them so much already!


Another highlight was my best friend and old roommate Tara returning from her mission! She served in New York, New York South. I'm so happy she's home! Even if she doesn't come back to Rexburg, I'm so happy she's home to chat with. We talked on the phone for nearly an hour one day and then a few days later we got to go to Provo and meet up with her! We went to the BYU Creamery and chatted for a long time. I love Tara so much and am so proud of the wonderful work she did in New York. I'm so excited to see where life takes her next!

Not pictured events that I wish I would have gotten:
- Baby shower! Tom's mom threw me a baby shower and we were spoiled rotten! The people in Lake Point are amazing. You know the saying that it takes a village to raise a child? Well whether it was necessary or not, Lake Point totally did that with Tom. They watched him grow up and love him so much. They spoiled us last year at our wedding and now this year for our baby - crazy how time flies! The shower was so much fun, and we really are so grateful for all the gifts we received for our baby.

- We found a jogging stroller! The tires need a little help and TLC but I'd say that $30 for a nice stroller is not a bad deal at all!

- We crafted a lot. I can't show the pictures or say what we did quite yet (after Christmas :) ), but we had so much fun making things. 

- We went to the Ogden Temple open house! Tom has pictures but I didn't get any on my phone. It was such a beautiful experience! That temple is GORGEOUS, if you can go everyone should! The artwork in that temple was different from what I've noticed in other temples and I loved it! Plus, I got to see one of my good friends who is serving her mission in Ogden! Holla, Sister Greene!

- We visited all of Tom's grandparents! They are the sweetest. It's so nice to have them relatively close so we can visit and make memories with them.

- Before we hung out with Tara, we got to spend a few hours with Jeff, Kerri, and Jane! I'm so glad they're back in Provo and we can see them more frequently. Jane is the cutest little thing and we had so much fun playing with her, talking with Jeff and Kerri, and we went to the BYU Farmer's Market! Of course we picked up some peaches which we promptly devoured with brown sugar and milk after Kerri's delicious dinner for us. They spoil us! We love spending time with family and only wish we were all closer together.

And now we're back! We have two weeks before school starts again and although we don't have any big plans, we're determined to soak up as much fun as we can! Kenna is coming up after she takes (AND PASSES!) her nursing exam which we're way excited for. The weather is getting cooler and more Fall-ish which I'm totally loving...oh I love Fall. But in the meantime we are thoroughly enjoying our summer break!

Consider yourself caught up. Boom.

1 comment:

  1. What a great catch up!! So glad you blogged, it's fun to see pics too. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete