Monday, July 13, 2015

We are here! We are here! We are here!

It has been FOREVER since I last blogged! Consider this repentance. Oh so much has happened since I last wrote:
- Ian turned 5, then 6, then 7, and just now 8 months old!
- Ian and I went to New Mexico for a week and a half to babysit my sister's kids while they went to France, came home for two days, and then took off again to New Jersey to babysit my other sister's kids while they went house hunting in CAMBODIA.
- Tom graduated college!!!
- Our life plans changed 4573859 times
- We moved into my in-laws basement
- Lagoon! Swimming! Crafting! Summer activities!
- Signing up for and training for the Top of Utah half marathon
- Tom started a Medical Assisting program at the trade school in town

And so many other little things that, forgive me, I will probably not take time to post about. Rather, I'll start with the 4th of July and move on from there.

My parents came to town! Since they live in Texas and we're in Lake Point (Utah) it is a treat when they come. We went down to Provo and picked up Tim on Friday (July 3) and took him with us to Mapleton to the Tobler's house. We hung out with Aunt Sharon and Uncle Greg until Mom and Dad got there - HOORAY! Then we all stayed up talking till after midnight.

Of course, Ian didn't sleep very well that night and got up a few times (new place, new crib, shared room, etc.). Which would have been fine except for that we had to get up at 5:15 because we were going to see the hot air balloons! But we were happy happy happy to all be together. Unfortunately the balloons never flew away because of some bad winds or something (I'm no hot air balloon expert) but they did at least blow up, which was fun.

After the balloons we opted out of the craziness that is the Provo Freedom Festival parade and instead went back to Mapleton. Tom got a bit more shut eye and we just hung out for a while. Then we made our way to Orem for the Andersen family reunion! Oh my, it was so much fun to see so many cousins again! It has been way too long. It was SO hot and Ian was not very happy about so many strangers (he has an intense issue a bit of a problem with strangers), even though those "strangers" were so excited to meet him and love him so much! Isn't family wonderful?

At one point in the day Ian was in desperate need of a nap but wouldn't let himself fall asleep in the stroller (which he usually does), so we hopped in the car and Tom drove around while Ian and I both took a snoozer. It was a nice break from normal Independence Day craziness! I will admit though, I am a bit sad we didn't go to a parade, if for no other reason than tradition. Next year.

Mom and Dad and us went to Panda Express for dinner because it just doesn't get much more American than that! ;) We ate at a park in Provo, then Mom and Dad headed to the BYU soccer game with the Tobler's, and we headed back to Mapleton to get Ian to bed! After a fun bath, of course. Once Ian was down, Tom and I took a blanket into the backyard and were pleasantly surprised at how many HUGE fireworks we saw, courtesy of Tobler's neighbors in every direction. It was like our own private little firework show and we very much enjoyed it.

It wasn't exactly a typical 4th for us, but we had fun nonetheless and were happy to spend it with family.

I have been struggling lately to feel very patriotic because of the things I am learning about how I believe our country should be and seeing the stark contrast between that and where we are. In some really good family discussions we talked about how we need to be patriotic to the principles this country was founded upon and recognize that even with our issues this is still the best country in the world! I'm grateful to live in it.

(One day I will figure out why my phone pictures aren't connecting to blogger like they normally do and then I will post lots of pictures!)

No comments:

Post a Comment