Monday, April 7, 2014

New Year's Resolutions...Check

My husband is a runner.

I am not. Or at least, I didn't used to be. Many in my family are runners, and I definitely had the genes for it, but never got into it. I preferred being in the pool where I couldn't feel my sweat or hear myself huffing and puffing...kind of discouraging, huh?

But as Tom and I have run together since getting married, I realized that I could be a really good runner if I played my cards right. AKA if I put forth the effort to actually run. So, I ran! And this year I had a goal to do a 10K. I've really enjoyed running, and found that I feel really good doing it, much to my surprise. 

Then for one of my classes, it was required that we train for a race, and extra credit if we actually ran the race. Sounds good to me - killing two birds with one stone! So we signed up for a fun little 10K in West Valley (The Karen Johnson Memorial run, I highly recommend it!)

And despite unforeseen events that came up in the weeks right before, we did it.



I really should put Tom's picture first since he finished a solid 10 minutes ahead of me...oh well. Even though we have run together, we discovered that we really prefer to run solo. So he went with the front pack, and I found my place somewhere else, and we both ran our own race. It felt so good to accomplish that goal, even if the stupid wind and cold made me so dang mad. I hate the wind. But anyways...that's a really long way to say that we ran a 10K a few weeks ago and had a great time doing it. I even reached my goal of finishing within an hour, so woohoo!

The end.

2 comments:

  1. good job Laura and Tom!! What a fun thing to accomplish together. Looks like it was packed like crazy! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Congratulations on your first 10K! Hopefully there will be many more to come, and I'm totally like you - never used to run but recently have forced myself into it and have finally begun to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete