Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Get To Work

Today I picked up a copy of Gordon B. Hinkley's biography from the library. I just love the library, and I love Pres. Hinkley, so it seemed like a can't lose situation.

I am EATING IT UP. I love this man, and I love learning about his heritage. It seems to me that so far a prominent theme of their family legacy is work. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and have had some questions weighing on my mind about the balance between praying for blessings/help and working on your own to obtain them.

But this quote about Ira Nathaniel Hinkley, one of Pres. Hinkley's predecessors:

"If he prayed for a thing he went to work to get what he prayed for"

I've decided to make this my mantra for a while. We should pray hard, then work hard. Because the ability to do work is a gift from God, as well as any results of that work. The ability to pray is a gift from God. It's all because of Him.

Last night at an FHE with the President of our school (Kim B. Clark), a question was asked about where the line is between good and bad ambition. Pres. Clark said that we need to take care of things at home. Make sure our spiritual lives are in order, our families are in order, and that we're fulfilling our callings. If we have taken care of ourselves and our responsibilities, then the Lord will bless us with opportunities. If He desires that we become what we hope to become, then we will. 

I just loved that. It's so simple - work hard at what you know. Pray hard for guidance and blessings. Be obedient to obtain those blessings. I don't know why it didn't click like this until now, be regardless I guess revelation is revelation. I'm so grateful for Pres. Clark and Ira Hinkley and their examples, and their words. The world is full of incredible people!

No comments:

Post a Comment