Thursday, December 5, 2013

Back to reality, no thank you.

We had SUCH a great time in Texas for the Thanksgiving break. Being a very large family, it's chaotic, and loud, and there is always a lot going on. And I love it. Of course there are challenges, but as soon as you're away from all of it, you just miss it. As we drove away, Jeff said "I already miss Texas". Ironically, we still had 11 hours left to drive through just Texas, but I knew exactly what he meant. I already miss my family so much and can't wait to be with them all again.

Just as with any vacation, it was very hard to come back to reality. Especially after a week long vacation, and a super long drive there and back which kind of screwed up our sleeping schedule. Tom was sick, and when the alarm went off on Monday morning, I just couldn't do it. Mostly laziness, and a lot of being tired, but we'll just ignore my bad decision making here. I worked from home which was really nice, and allowed me to take care of Tom and get more rest myself.

So that was weird, that Monday of working from home. Thus began one of the weirdest weeks!

Tuesday was a fairly normal day, until the evening when we were forced to notice our biggest trial that we had been subconsciously ignoring. I guess every newly married couple goes through financial struggles, right? Well now is our time, for real. Oh boy. But, in a way this trial was the answer to a really dumb prayer of mine. Anyways, enough woe is me. Tuesday night was really hard, but we are doing great!

Wednesday I woke up early to finish making cookies for a work thing. Except that they weren't even cookies, and I couldn't get the chocolate to melt right and they looked like little turd balls. Please excuse the visual. They were peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate, and boy was it frustrating. Then, as Tom's alarm went off, the power shut off from Firth to Rexburg. For those of you a little behind on your Southeast Idaho geography, that's quite a space - about 50 minutes driving time, and a lot of people were affected. I went to work to make sure nobody else was there, which was super scary. But don't worry, I had a flashlight (that's what we call acting on a prompting) to help me navigate the abandoned halls.

Miracle of miracles, all of Tom's classes were cancelled one by one. (Just a note, BYU-Idaho has never in the history of their existence from the time they were Bannock Stake Academy in 1888, have they ever cancelled class/work a whole day. They will cancel classes one at a time and then resume normal schedules when the power is on or whatever. History lesson over.) Which meant that my poor sick husband got to stay home and rest, which he desperately needed. Plus, who wants to go outside when it's -9 degrees? Not I, said the cow. We took a nap, then when the power came back on I went to work. A couple hours later I came home, we watched Forever Strong as part of one of Tom's assignments, and we did a lot of productive things. It was a weird, but really good day.

And today, well today hasn't been weird. It's just been a good day.

Even if it was still in the negatives when I walked to work. What's the real difference between -9 and -6 anyway? I mean, is there a greater evil here? I'm rambling.

Happiest of birthdays to sweet Madison Lynn Weston, who is 3 years old today! Madi is the sweetest little girl ever, and I loved soaking in her sweet spirit over Thanksgiving. We love you, Madi cakes!

So anyways, I guess that all this just means that I'm bored while I watch Tom practice his routine for teaching in class tomorrow, and I'm avoiding doing the dishes. What about you, anyone else having Thanksgiving hangover? Thank goodness it's almost the weekend.

Oh and I'm donating plasma tomorrow for the first time, so, there's that. Gotta rake in that money somehow.

Okay I'll stop now before this rambling gets out of hand (no comments about how that already happened on paragraph 11).

No comments:

Post a Comment