Friday, March 7, 2014

Happenings

Things have been great here at Chez Cook! Here's what's going on in our life:

Tom landed a position as Lead Wellness Director for the Activities department next semester! It's a full scholarship position, plus is going to be one of the greatest experiences for Tom's career. I am so proud of him! He did such a wonderful job. I love when he interviews for things because he lets me help brainstorm with him and we always have fun coming up with ideas, revising his resume, and practicing responses to interview questions. Yeah, we're that weird couple.

I have watched 4 documentaries on nutrition this week. Thank you, Netflix! I would recommend them to anyone, simply because I feel it's really good to expose yourself to new ideas. They were: Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead; Forks Over Knives; Food, Inc.; and Vegucated. It's gotten me thinking a lot about our diet, as in mine and Tom's. Just interesting things to think about, and more importantly I think "What does Heavenly Father say on the matter?" I have pored over D&C 89 to interpret the message and figure out what I believe is 'right'. (For those who aren't aware, the Doctrine and Covenants is a book of modern revelations from God given to the Latter-Day prophet of the restoration, Joseph Smith. Section 89 was given in 1833, and it is God's revealed word on the care of our physical bodies) I still don't know exactly what I think, but I know there are some changes I want to make, and that's a good enough start for now. Also I must insert a shoutout to my sister Stephanie, who although she didn't know my blog existed, has been a strong advocate for holistic eating, and never let anyone's opinions change what she knew was right for her. Thanks for being patient, Steph!

There are so many wonderful changes happening for my family - my Andersen and Cook families alike! It's such a happy time, and I feel overwhelmed with gratitude sometimes when I think of all the blessings that Heavenly Father is pouring over us!

It's getting warmer here in Rexburg, and that's all I'm going to say on the matter because it might change and I'd look like an idiot.

I registered for my last semester as an undergraduate student yesterday! Spring will be an easy and super fun semester - the perfect way to finish off college! I have struggled a lot with school. Not just grades, although I did struggle for a while there. But more than that I just didn't know what to study. I love a lot of different things, and so I'd get hooked and change my major and then burn out. On everything. I would pray for guidance and direction and change my major again. Now I think there are several things that could be happening here, but ultimately this is what I know: college is for learning of all kinds, not just academia, and every single thing that I learned will bless my life if it hasn't already. I don't always believe that, but I have to try to convince myself that it applies to me too. My degree might not sound cool or fascinating and I don't think people know what it means (it's University Studies), and that's okay. Most of the time. I just need to remember. That's my word of the year, by the way. College has been the best time of my life, and I really have learned and changed so much. That's what it's about, right? So I plan to finish off strong and have a whole lot of fun :)

We are THRILLED about the next few weekends that we get to spend in Utah! First for my family coming into town, then Tom's family coming into town, and then a very very quick trip for my race! 10K, here I come!

Anyway. Things are great here, and we are so very happy, albeit busy. That's the best way to be, isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. laura! first I'm so excited to see you this weekend. Second, I've watched all those documentaries too (except for forks over knives)! I watched one more on netflix that was my favorite...but i forgot what it is called. They are very interesting! Anyways, I'm so glad things are going well for you and tom!

    ReplyDelete