Monday, March 10, 2014

Rexburg is the real windy city

Sometimes I wonder how cities get their nicknames. Ya know, like Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love, Detroit is Motor City, Houston is the city of fat people. Okay I made that one up. Maybe that's how it happens.

Now I've never been to Chicago, so maybe it is pretty windy. And I would be willing to bet that big cities get nicknames, but the little guys get left out.

Those thoughts combined lead me to believe that if people knew Rexburg, Idaho existed, Chicago would not be the windy city, by a LONG SHOT. And guess what, one time I asked a girl from Chicago if it's really windy there or if it's windier here, and she said here for sure.

WHAT THE HECK.

Anyways, if you can't tell it's a very windy day. I do not like the wind. At all. It's annoying and frustrating and kicks up all kinds of nasty little things that nobody likes. It gets your hair in your mouth and really just all over the place.

But from inside my little apartment, full of dirty dishes begging to be washed, rinsed, anything, I can hear that nasty wind outside. I can even feel a bit of a draft since our windows didn't get totally closed last night after a cooking mishap. Oh it's howlin out there! But from in here, I feel safe and peaceful.

That's how life has been lately. There's always a million and three things going on, but I feel such peace. I am so content with my life, where it's headed, what we're doing. Sure, there are slip ups and every once in a while the wind just beats down the door and forces its way in. But goodness, it's so cozy in here. I just want to cuddle up with my husband and a book. Probably Dave Ramsey, since that's what I've been devouring lately (thoughts on Total Money Makeover? The Cook's is about to begin, suggestions are welcome!).

I am just so grateful. Grateful for this dinky little apartment. Grateful for so many dirty dishes that remind me of our blessings - good friends to eat with, good food to eat, hard earned money to pay for the food, and an abundance of tender mercies.

Even with the wind, I guess things aren't all that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment