Thursday, May 1, 2014

May Day!

Things have been just so glorious around here lately. Since getting over that nasty flu, life has been surprisingly busy again, which I wasn't anticipating for this semester. But alas, here we are, with assignments to do, a new calling to fulfill, errands to run, an apartment contract to sell (we're moving!), and a thousand things to do.

Yesterday was one of those especially hectic days, and I ran (literally) from my P.E. Methods class to the car, and made it to my OB-GYN appointment with one minute to spare. I don't like being late to the doctor cause then they'll be late for you, ya know? I was stinky from my class, and had no idea what they were going to do at the appointment. I anticipated just asking him questions, etc. So the nurse makes me pee in a cup (always asking for my urine! Why?!), takes my weight (I gained one pound, which puts me 2.5 pounds below my normal pre-pregnancy weight...), and leads me to a different room. She tells me to lay down and says "let's listen to your baby's heartbeat!"

My heart stopped beating for just a second, because I wasn't expecting this. I was mad at first because they didn't tell me this would be happening and Tom wasn't there with me and I knew he would want to hear it and..and..and...

I lay very still, which is hard to do on that crinkly paper, and waited. She searched and searched and it sounded weird. And then, I heard it.

A very rapid bom-bom, bom-bom, bom-bom. My baby's heart was beating oh so fast. "There it is!" the nurse said excitedly. She looked at me, just laying there, staring up at the ceiling, memorizing the sound of my child's heartbeat. "Isn't it amazing?" she said. My eyes started to well up with tears as I said "yeah, that's pretty incredible".

I didn't cry when I first saw the baby, even though I was expecting to. Then, at a time when I wasn't expecting, I heard our baby. I didn't have time beforehand to decide how I would react, it just happened. It was such a beautiful moment, that I couldn't help but cry. I'm sad that Tom couldn't be there, but he'll hear the heart beat next time.

It was a nice bonding moment for Baby and I. Because I've been spared from a lot of pregnancy symptoms, I sometimes forget I'm pregnant. No, I'm not joking. And I felt guilty about that! But ever since I heard that bom-bom, bom-bom, bom-bom, I cannot stop thinking about the little child growing inside of me, bigger than a lime now! Baby consumes my thoughts, and I can't say that I mind at all. I'm so grateful to be more aware of the baby, feel closer to the baby.

I can't wait to be a mom to this special spirit. I can't wait to put my ear to their little chest and listen to their heart beat again and remember when I felt like I met them for the first time.

5 comments:

  1. That's so fun La! And just so you know, you'll have to pee in a cup every time. But you'll get to hear the baby's heartbeat every time too! So glad you're still feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the first heart beat was the most special moment until capri was actually born :) it really hits you! it actually helped me handle being sick bc i realized- ok there really is a sweet baby in there and i don't think she/he hates me and is trying to make my life miserable! what an amazing moment. i'm so glad you got that moment and am excited for tom to hear it for his first time, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always held back tears because jeff was so un-emotional and i didn't want to seem like a baby. lame reason, but it really is so emotional and AMAZING! you are housing a little person. I can't wait to meet that sweet babe! :) so happy your pregnancy has been so good! what a blessing! oh and you will bond with the baby real good once he/she starts moving. that is also so sweet and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! What a special time in you and Tom's life. Enjoy every sweet moment❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so amazing! I have no idea what it feels like, but I know I find it amazing when I can feel my sister's belly when her baby is moving around. I am so excited. Babies! They are so awesome.

    ReplyDelete