Friday, September 6, 2013

All About Us

Now that this blog is public, people might read this who don't know our story. And I do love this story, so I thought I'd introduce us to you. You're welcome ;)

September 16th, 2012.
It was the first day of church in the new semester. I had just moved in to an apartment of fabulous girls who were immediately my best friends. I was single, and had no interest in getting serious. In fact, I had serious plans to serve a mission for my church. Then this really cute guy walked in all by himself. That makes it SO much easier to get to know them, and find a seat near you. Just a tip for all you single men out there! ;) But, my roommate gave me the look and I knew she was interested. I didn't want to play her game, so I let it go. The cute boy sat with us in Sunday School and Sacrament meeting, and even came over to our apartment later to watch a fireside.
In fact, he came over several times in the next few weeks, and sat with us at church every week. But he wasn't asking out my roommate, or anyone of my roommates...
After General Conference, 3 of my roommates decided to serve missions (due to the wonderful change in age requirement for girls!), and I thought it was great since I was already planning on it too. But something didn't feel right. As I prepared to go, I felt...heavy. Like it wasn't right. I was frustrated, but after weeks of spiritually throwing a tantrum, I gave up and told the Lord that whatever He had in store for me would be great, and I would love it.
Around this time, that cute boy and I started seeing each other every day. We watched a lot of dumb youtube videos and played some really fun games, cooked together, and just had a lot of fun no matter what we were doing! I realized that I really liked this boy. His name is Tom, Tommy Ray. And in fact, I liked him very much.


October 19th, 2012
After what seemed like an ETERNITY, he finally asked me out! We planned a double date with his best friend Ian, who we set up with my awesome cousin Claire! The date? The Haunted Mill. I am TERRIFIED of all things haunted or potentially haunt-able. I'm a whoosie, basically. But I braved the mill, all in the name of love ;) Tom wouldn't hold my hand or anything, which was annoying but surprisingly attractive. Maybe it was because I accidentally elbowed him in the nose. We'll just let that one go.
We continued to see each other every day, and go on unofficial dates, and official ones too. I was falling fast for this kind and strong man that I saw so much good in. We had such great conversations, and we were always laughing when we were together. It was an amazing time, but also frustrating because I wanted more! I could feel how right it was, or at least I told myself that. I couldn't help myself, he's got charisma (name that movie!)


January 2, 2013
I spent Christmas at home in Texas with my family, and it was a hard time for us. We weren't officially dating, and it was just kind of an awkward limbo phase. When I got back to Utah, I spent New Year's with his family and fell in love with all of them. I almost cried when I got on the shuttle to take me back to Rexburg, because Tom wouldn't be coming back until the Spring. I had no idea what would happen. When I got home, we were on the phone, and somehow started talking about our relationship and what we were. It was very simple when we decided "it looks like a duck, it quacks like a duck..."...and thus we became boyfriend and girlfriend. Officially.
We spent the next semester long distance dating, Face Timing as often as possible, having long distance movie nights, and visiting whenever we could.



January 26, 2013
On a weekend visit, Tom finally held my hand. Yes, I floated away. I hadn't ever had to wait so long for something so good, and it just proved to me that even if waiting for things to develop was hard, Tom was worth it!

February 10, 2013
I was down in Utah for a weekend visit, and as Tom drove me back to the airport to be picked up by my ride, we talked about us. I'll leave out the gushy stuff and cut to the chase - he dropped the L bomb. As if things couldn't get better, when we were pulling away from one of a thousand goodbye hugs, he kissed me! I think it surprised him as much as it surprised me. It was the most perfect little awkward first kiss in the history of the world, and if I thought I knew Cloud 9 before, I discovered Cloud 11 in that moment.
Tom came up to surprise me for my 21st birthday, which made me SO stinkin' happy. That was the only present I wanted, and how blessed am I, I got it!



March 30, 2013
I came down to Utah, and we went to the Holli Krishna festival. Then Tom met my parents, and more of my siblings. They all loved him, so that sealed the deal for me! We dropped Tim off at the MTC on April 3rd, celebrated Tom's birthday on April 4th, attended General Conference on the 5th and 6th, and I reluctantly went back to Rexburg that night.



April 10, 2013
We leave for our first road trip alone together, and headed to Oakland/San Francisco, CA. Time in the car is a make or break kind of activity, and it was a good thing for us!

April 12, 2013
On the terrace of the Oakland temple, my best friend read 99 things he loves about me, then asked me to read #100. At the end of his sweet message, I read "With that said, I have one question to ask you...", and then he was down on one knee, asking me to be his forever.
The rest of the day was one of the most glorious days I've ever had. We did baptisms in the Oakland temple, then called our family, then ran around San Francisco holding hands and kissing and not even caring where we went or what we did.



We returned to Rexburg, completed a wonderful Spring semester that was full of ups and downs. We took engagements, made all kinds of wedding plans, probably spent more weekends in Utah than we did in our own town, found an apartment, saw all kinds of miracles.


When the semester ended I went to Texas for a while to be at home. After a few days apart, Tom joined me. I went through the Houston Temple on August 3rd, 2013, which was another day I hope to never forget. Tom enjoyed his first trip to Texas, all except for the humidity ;)



Then on August 14th, 2013....well, you get it.


And that is how we became us.


3 comments:

  1. Cute!!! I learned a lot! And was re-confirmed how happy you two are together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! Chills and smiles. What an awesome answer to a prayer:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable story! I loved reading it! You two are such a stinken cute couple! :)

    ReplyDelete