Monday, September 23, 2013

City Livin

It would be a terrible lie to say that Tom and I are city people.

Because, well, we're just not. He grew up in a small town with no sidewalks, and in all my moving around we usually tended towards suburbia.

So when we were looking for an apartment, and this cute little place fell into our lap, we were just excited to have a place that was cheap and would let us make improvements. Plus the location is killer.

When we went to visit the place, we left talking about the windows. We don't have real windows, you see, but the 3 windows in our house lead to a breezeway. The windows look like old apartment in down town New York windows, and that's not a joke!

But recently when people ask us where we live, we smile and say "downtown". Mostly because everyone would know the whole one street we're talking about if we say that. This may not be Detroit, but I love our home and it's city feel.

It's taken some getting used to, but I love the hum of the light in our kitchen. I don't get bothered (very much) anymore by the conversations we hear and things our neighbors do, because we can hear all. Very powerful of us, no? We love our windows, especially with the new blinds on them. And we even love hearing the occasional siren, because it justifies our belief that we live downtown.

Cause we do.

1 comment:

  1. Downtown, huh? That's precious. I love you. Also, I am really excited to be able to keep up with your life again! I have missed reading your blogs. I will have to come visit you sometime, so I can experience this "downtown" feel myself.

    ReplyDelete